Red Beans with Rice
- 12 ounces red beans
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ lb salt pork
- 2 quarts water
- ½ lb lean pork or ham
- ¼ cup Spanish olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2¼ cups long-grain rice
- Soak the beans in a large pot with water for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Bring the beans to a boil, reduce the heat and let cook for 1 hour and a half to forty five minutes or until tender, adding water if necessary.
- Cut the salt pork into medium chunks and cook in a large casserole.
- Remove from casserole and drain in paper towel.
- Cook the ham chunks in the rendered fat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the ham and wipe out the casserole with more paper towel.
- Add the oil and cook the onion, garlic, and bell pepper over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return the salt pork and ham to the casserole.
- Add the beans and 5 cups of the cooking liquid (add water if necessary) to the onions and bell pepper.
- Raise the heat to high, add the oregano, cumin, sugar, salt, pepper, and rice, and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir the rice with a fork, reduce the heat to low, and cook 10 to 15 minutes more until done.