Chicken and Rice. 8 servings.
- 1 x 3 lb chicken
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ tomato purée
- 1 lb rice
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash of saffron
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 can green peas
- 1 can red peppers
- ½ cup green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- Cut the chicken into pieces and season with salt, pepper and orange juice.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Heat the olive oil and brown the chicken pieces.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and add the chopped onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and add the tomato puree.
- Continue cooking for some more and the chicken and the rice.
- Stir well and cook 3 more minutes.
- Add the stock, salt, green olives and capers.
- Cover and cook over high heat until it boils and the rice pops.
- Uncover and lower heat.
- Pour the wine over the rice and continue cooking until the rice is completely cooked and the chicken is tender.
- Take the chicken out of the rice and take the meat off the bones.
- Return the chicken meat to the rice and stir well.
- Add the peas.
- When ready to serve, put on a serving dish and decorate with the red pepper strips.