- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup water
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl.
- Mix then add the shortening.
- Add some water and continue adding as much as needed until mixture becomes a firm dough.
- Cover and sit aside for 5 minutes.
- Take medium sized pieces of dough and form into pattie shapes about ¼ inch thick.
- Fry them in the oil for ⅔ minutes until golden brown.
- Eat it plain or sprinkle white sugar powder or top with some honey and serve while still nice and hot.
- Note: Panamanians typically eat them with hot dogs, which they call "salchichas" and a lot of ketchup. They are also AMAZING with Nutella and Peanut Butter (if available). They are also now called "Fried Bread", they are called Hojaldres.