- In a heavy saucepan or dutch oven start heating the cooking oil to 375°F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl.
- Cut the lard into the flour with a pastry cutter or forks.
- Slowly add water until a firm adhesive dough is formed.
- Knead the dough briefly, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Pinch the dough off in golf ball sized pieces and form irregularly shaped patties about ¼" thick between the hands.
- Fry the patties in the hot oil about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or with honey or syrup.