Serves 10 - 12.
- 6 lbs tripe, washed thoroughly in hot water and cut in 1-inch pieces or ½ x 2 inch strips
- 1 gal water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 ancho chiles, dried
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped fine
- 3 (14½ oz) cans yellow hominy, drained
- lime wedges
- Place the tripe, water, onions, garlic,salt, and pepper in a large kettle and let it simmer over low heat for about two hours, skimming fat as necessary.
- Toast the chiles well, using care not to burn them.
- Remove seeds and veins,if desired, and grind fine.
- Add powdered chiles and cilantro.
- Simmer for an additional two hours.
- Add the hominy and cook for another thirty minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges.
- This is not the mondongo of Panama. This is the mexican menudo which very different. The mexican menudo is like a soup. The mondongo of Panama is dry and does not use hominy which not used or known in Panama. The amount of water is way too much and we don't use lime in the mondongo. This is a mexican recipe.
- The mondongo is even sprinkled with a littlle parmesan cheese.