Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Change up your dinner routine with this spicy, yet hearty stew. The combination of paprika and cumin is sure to set your tastebuds aflame!
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 2 plantains, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled
- 4 pounds fresh cassava roots, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon mild paprika, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
1. Place the water into a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt, chopped cilantro, garlic, chicken legs, plantains, and 1 onion. Bring all ingredients to a boil, and cook for about 20 minutes. Add the potatoes and cassava to the pot, and continue to cook for another 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
2. While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the onions in the hot oil, and season with cumin, paprika, and salt. When the onions are limp, stir in the tomatoes, and remove from heat.
3. Spoon the chicken stew into bowls, and serve topped with the tomato onion sauce.