- Place the cut-up hen in the cold water with the herbs and salt and pepper and cook slowly until the hen is tender.
- While it is cooking, chop the onion, tomatoes, peppers.
- And add to the pot with the garlic.
- Cut the corn and plantains in 1½-inch pieces and add.
- Then chop the remaining vegetables (not too small) and add.
- Continue cooking until all the vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste.
- For a little more zip, add a bit of hot pepper.
- Serve in large soup dishes.
- For meat sancocho use 2 pounds of beef brisket or flank steak (cut-up) and increase the quantity of vegetables.