This barbecue sauce creates a wonderful aroma as guests arrive for dinner. Spread it across any meat or seafood you plan to barbecue, broil or roast, it adds a unique flavor. Secret Chinese Barbecue Sauce can be made in large quantities and stored indefinitely in the refrigerator.
- 3 pounds spareribs
- 5 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp plum sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp Chinese chili sauce
- ½ tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh ginger
Advance Preparation Edit
- Have butcher trim cartilate and bone from the top of spareribs.
- Cut off the flap of meat on underside of ribs. Also on the underside is a tough white membrane; using a sharp pointed knife, loosen membrane along the bone at one edge, then gripping membrane with a paper towel, pull it away.
- Combine ingredients for barbecue sauce.
- Makes approximately 1¼ cups.
Roasting Spareribs Edit
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a large baking pan with foil. Coat a wire rack with cooking spray, then place rack in baking ran.
- Rub spareribs on both sides with barbecue sauce and place on the rack, meat side up.
- Bake till meat begins to shrink away from the ends of the bones, about 1 hour.
- Cut into individual ribs.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serves 6-8 as an appetizer or picnic dish; 2 as an entree with a salad.