Yields: 6 servings
Cool off and indulge your sweet tooth with this sweet treat! A strawberry-flavored raspado is merely one option-feel free to experiment with different fruits and flavors!
What you need to prepare Edit
- 1 3/4 cups almonds, blanched
- 3/4 cup medium-grain rice
- (1) 3-inch piece Mexican cinnamon (canela)
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 pint strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. On a cookie sheet, toast 3/4 cup of the almonds until golden. Cool, coarsely chop and set aside.
3. Combine remaining almonds with rice, cinnamon and 3 cups hot water in a large container. Allow to cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight. In a blender, purée mixture with condensed milk, evaporated milk and salt. Blend until smooth. Strain mixture over a fine sieve (if you don’t have one, you can substitute a cheesecloth over a colander).
4. Mash strawberries lightly with a fork and place a small amount a on the bottom of each glass. Place shaved ice on top, and pour rice and almond syrup over it. Top with cinnamon and chopped almonds.