- Soak the corn overnight in water.
- The next day, discard the water and replace with more fresh water, cook over moderate heat until the corn is tender.
- Drain and pass through the meat grinder.
- Add the hot water and the 2 tbs.
- vegetable oil.
- Work well to obtain a smooth, soft dough.
- Cover and let rest while you prepare the filling.
- Heat the oil in large saucepan and add the achiote.
- Cook until all the color comes out, strain the oil and discard the achiote.
- Return the oil to the saucepan and cook the chicken pieces until golden brown.
- Take out the chicken from the saucepan and add the onions, garlic and bell peppers, cook until soft but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, culantro, hot pepper, salt and wine.
- Add the chicken and the pork.
- Cook slowly until the meats are tender, correct the salt if necessary.
- Add part of this sauce (without the meats, to the corn dough and knead until soft.
- Keep the meats to the side.
- The plantain leaves are lightly passed over a slow fire, then cut off the middle vein and pass a damp cloth over each piece of leaf.
- Put 2 or 3 leaves overlapping each other and then place some corn dough in the center, spreading evenly.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of meat, a strip of pimento, a prune, and 1 or 2 and more corn dough on top.
- Now fold over and wrap well in the plantain lead and tie with a string.
- Fill a pot with boiling water and put the tamales in to boil for 1 hour.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.